What is ISO 44001?
This is the ISO Standard that has replaced BS 11000.
The Institute for Collaborative Working, established in 1990 as a joint initiative between the Department of Trade and Industry and the Confederation of British Industry, was the thought leader and driving force behind the development of BS 11000, the world’s first Standard in relationship management, published by the BSI in 2010. Since then the standard has become widely recognised both in the UK and internationally, particularly in sectors such as the built environment, transport and defence, hence its development into the international standard ISO 44001, published in March 2017.
It provides a framework for collaborative business relationships that an organisation of any size and sector can apply to get the very most out of its business relationships (e.g. strategic business partnerships, client, customer or supplier relationships, shared services, consortia and alliances) and has adopted the common ISO management system structure, enabling easy integration with other management system standards e.g. ISO 9001.
What are its benefits?
Collaborative working gives you access to more services, more opportunities to win work and the resources to compete for bigger contracts.
Using ISO 44001 as a framework for creating and managing collaborative relationships
- provides a consistent and structured approach for the integration of collaborative working within operational procedures, processes and systems
- provides a robust, neutral framework for establishing effective collaborative programmes for mutual benefit
- provides a common foundation and language for relationships between different types of organisation e.g. private and public sector, commercial and not-for-profit organisations
- specifies a consistent and systematic approach, ensuring repeatability across programmes and relationships, with increased emphasis on developing value
- encourages organisations to focus on developing more effective joint risk management programmes
How we can help you implement and maintain it
We have a wealth of experience in
- developing systems that are effectively integrated within your organisation and, if appropriate, with management systems based on other standards e.g.ISO 22301
- documenting processes and especially management processes and procedures
- training staff and managers in internal auditing against a range of BS and ISO standards
- supporting management teams through the ISO certification process – we only work with certification bodies approved by the Institute for Collaborative Working e.g. SGS
- conducting readiness reviews/gap analysis in preparation for certification audits
Ask The Expert
Related pages and links