What do we mean by integrated management systems standards?
Whether your organisation has one or more ISO management system standards (e.g. ISO 9001, ISO 14001), we mean the processes and resource involved in implementing the standard so that it is appropriately integrated within your organisation, as well as applying for and maintaining certification. This includes planning, scheduling and preparing for both internal and external audits, developing actions to address non-conformities and areas for improvement and, especially where more than one standard or multi-site operations are involved, co-ordinating all this to avoid unnecessary duplication of resource and effort and to maximise the benefits each standard can bring to the overall performance of your organisation.
What are its benefits?
- helps the organisation maximise the positive impact on performance from each individual standard implemented
- co-ordinates effort and resource to avoid duplication and waste
- helps avoid audit failures
- helps co-ordinate qualitative & quantitative data from multiple audits etc. in order to systematically prioritise and implement improvements
- facilitates the introduction of new standards or changes to existing standards
How we can help you do this more effectively
Many companies find that implementing ISO standards, applying for certification and then maintaining those standards to the level at which they can remain certified is time consuming and does not make best use of their own resources, which are better spent on delivering their own products and services. In small to medium sized organisations spare resource is hard to find. In large organisations, particularly those with multi-site operations, management of the audit schedule alone and ensuring the organisation is ready for external audits when due can be a complex process, which people often struggle with.This can lead to duplication of effort, fire-fighting, last minute fixes and even external audit failures, which nobody wants.
This is exactly where we can help. We have a strong track record in helping organisations to develop and implement effective, integrated management system standards that reap all of the intended benefits and meet the requirements for certification purposes. We can help you
- develop management systems and implement standards that are effectively integrated within your organisation and, if more than one standard, with each other
- plan and co-ordinate internal audits, scheduling them to avoid unnecessary cross-over and duplication
- train staff and managers in internal auditing against the appropriate standards
- train people how to develop and prioritise improvements in order to avoid non-conformities and audit failures
- support management teams through the certification process – we only work with certification bodies approved by UKAS * or other appropriate bodies or, outside of the UK, members of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF)
- conduct readiness reviews/gap analysis in preparation for certification audits
- run workshops to review or update organisational context, risks, opportunities etc.
*Why use a certification body accredited by UKAS or IAF to certify your management system standards? See related links to the right on why this matters.
Ask The Expert
Related pages and links
For more information on how the BSI Quality ROI Calculator was created click here.
How not to choose a certification body unfit for purpose
If the body awarding your certification is not itself operating to internationally recognised standards, you could find yourself implementing something of no real value to your organisation. UKAS and its overseas equivalents (only one per country) are appointed by Government to help you avoid this potential pitfall.
Each country’s Government appointed accreditation body is a member of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF).