What is ISO 14001?
An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a framework that allows an organisation to consistently control its significant impacts on the environment, reduce the risk of pollution incidents, ensure compliance with relevant environmental legislation and continually improve its processes and operations.
ISO 14001, incorporating life cycle thinking and, like many of the ISO management system standards, based on Plan-Do-Check-Act methodology, is an internationally accepted standard that defines the requirements for establishing, implementing and operating an EMS. It has been designed to be similar in structure to other ISO management system standards standards, which ensures that all of these standards can easily be integrated by users.
It has many benefits that can be gained whether or not you choose to go for Certification, but only if implementation is done in a way that supports your organisational goals. Trying to achieve this can be quite daunting, but have a look below to see how we can help.
What are its benefits ?
- Helps the organisation deliver environmentally aware products or services that meet customer needs
- Supports other business models such as the EFQM Excellence Model
- Productivity can be increased due to reduced waste
- Qualitative & quantitative data from audits etc. help target environmental improvement
- Stakeholders know that it can give competitive advantage
- Staff confidence, pride and morale improve
- Gives external recognition to your organisation
- Cost of utilities can be better managed
- Company image is improved
How we can help you implement and maintain it
We have a wealth of experience in
- developing environmental policies and systems
- documenting processes and especially management processes and procedures
- training staff and managers in ISO14001, Internal Auditing and maintenance of the EMS
- supporting management teams through the ISO 14001certification process – we only work with certification bodies approved by UKAS * or, outside of the UK, members of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF)
- conducting a readiness reviews/gap analysis in preparation for certification audits
*Why use a certification body accredited by UKAS or IAF to certify your environmental management system? See related links to the right on why this matters.
Ask The Expert
Related pages and links