What is the Baldrige Excellence Framework?
The Baldrige Excellence Framework includes criteria for performance excellence and questions for self-assessment that represent the leading edge of validated leadership and management practice. A product of the Baldrige Program run by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), part of the United States Department of Commerce, it has evolved significantly over time, since its inception in 1988 to keep relevant to current economic and marketplace challenges and opportunities.
The Framework is used globally and can help any type of organisation achieve improvement in all aspects of their performance, leading to long term sustainability. However, only companies with their headquarters in the U.S. can apply for the associated award, named after Malcolm Baldrige, the US Secretary of Commerce from 1981 to 1987.
More detail can be found here on Baldrige’s own website.
What are its benefits?
- helps you to deliver ever-improving value to customers, contributing to marketplace success
- helps you to improve your organiation’s overall effectiveness and capabilities
- provides focus on results in all areas of performance to ensure your strategies are balanced
- helps you to align resources with strategic objectives
- promotes creative and flexible approaches to foster incremental and breakthrough improvements
- provides organisational and personal learning
How we can help
Our own Paul Grizzell is a Master Examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in the United States, so has a lot of hands on knowledge about the Baldrige Assessment Framework, against which the Award is judged. We also have experienced people in all areas and at all levels of usage of this and other excellence frameworks, from their use in strategic development to the facilitation of improvement at working level.
We can –
- train managers and employees in self-assessment against the Framework
- support organisations through both self-assessment and the Award process